Depending on where you live, it’s likely you’ll experience less than stellar driving conditions sometime this winter. Whether you live in an area where it snows or just cold enough for a freeze, you need to make sure your car is prepped and ready for anything that may come your way.
- Update Your Emergency Kit
- Always have an emergency car kit ready. For the winter months, we recommend having salt or sand, an ice scraper, or a snow shovel (for those really cold areas).
- Check Your Tires
- Be extra diligent about checking your tire pressure. When the temperature drops, so does your tire pressure because the cold causes air to contract rather than expand.
- Always Keep Half a Tank of Gas
- Try not to let your gas get below half a tank to avoid gas line freeze-up. And if for whatever reason you find yourself stranded or stuck in your car, you’ll have enough gas to keep you warm until help arrives.
- Check Your Windshield Wipers
- Keep your windshield wipers in good condition so you can clear snow or ice easily.
- No Cruise Control
- Don’t use cruise control when driving in wet or icy conditions. You’ll want to be extra diligent and aware of your surroundings
- Don’t Heat Your Car Inside
- This may seem obvious, but don’t heat your car in an enclosed area. Carbon monoxide is incredibly dangerous.
- Watch Out for Black Ice
- If you find yourself skidding on a patch of ice, your first instinct may be to hit the brakes… don’t! Lift your foot off the accelerator and hold the steering wheel while making small adjustments rather than big corrections. Steer into the slide, and not away from it.
- Have Your TGS Insurance Agent Contact Info Handy
- We always advocate for being proactive, but you can’t prepare for everything. If something does happen to your car, give your TGS Insurance agent a call and we’ll help you get the claims process started, while also working with you until it’s resolved. Store our contact information in your phone, and we also recommend writing it down and putting it somewhere in your car- just in case your phone is inaccessible. You can file a claim here or give us a call at 1-855-661-4056.
The key to driving in the winter is to be alert and devote your full attention to the road and others around you. Do the basics, wear your seatbelt, and just keep your eyes open. If something does happen, your TGS Insurance agent will be there for you, ready to help! Visit our website or give us a call at 1-855-661-4056.