Start Your Free Fifth Wheel Insurance Quote Now
Fifth Wheel Insurance
Fifth wheels are popular for their balance of affordability and ease of transportation. Due to the unique way that fifth wheels are hitched to their towing vehicles, these RVs are often the most user-friendly travel trailers. Fifth wheels are also some of the largest travel trailers! Some even rival the dimensions of a Class A luxury motorhome.
The size of your fifth wheel can actually have a huge impact on the type of insurance policy you need or even which carriers will be available to you. Let’s break down the components of your auto and RV insurance and how to make sure you’re covered.
Does My Auto Insurance Cover My Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer?
For most fifth wheels, yes, your auto insurance will include the following coverages for your RV:
- Bodily injury/ property damage liability covers your RV while it’s being towed by your insured vehicle.
- Medical payment coverage will provide some financial aid for medical expenses due to an accident.
- Uninsured/ underinsured motorist coverage provides extra insurance for accidents caused by someone who can’t pay for some or all of their liability.
If you own a large and luxurious fifth wheel, your auto insurance is much less likely to cover it! Different insurance carriers can have vastly different policy terms. With that in mind, it’s always a good idea to clarify how much coverage (if any) your auto insurance policy provides for your fifth wheel. Speak to an insurance agent to guarantee that you have the coverage that’s right for you!
Most Important Fifth Wheel Insurance Coverages
If your fifth wheel is included in your auto liability, medical payment, and uninsured/ underinsured motorist coverages, you do still need RV insurance. These fifth wheel RV coverages will help to round out your standard policy:
- Campsite/ vacation liability covers any bodily injury or property damage caused by your RV while it’s parked. This is a critical supplement to your auto liability, which only applies to your RV while you’re driving!
- Collision/ comprehensive coverage funds needed repairs for damages to your fifth wheel due to a collision or a comprehensive peril such as theft.
- Personal property/ attachments coverage protects any items in or attached to the RV. If your belongings are damaged away from your house, standard homeowners policies will cover up to 10% of their value. By comparison, this RV insurance coverage can extend to the full replacement cost of damaged personal property.
- Roadside assistance will provide necessary roadside assistance or towing services for your RV. This coverage can be as low as $10 per month to include in your policy!
Additional RV Insurance Options
- Companion auto policies can bundle your RV and car insurance if one is being towed by the other. This is a great way to save money for any type of travel trailer.
- Custom equipment coverage protects your custom RV equipment up to a higher limit than standard personal property coverage.
- Full-timers personal liability grants more coverage to an RV that is your full-time primary address.
- Pest protection covers damages to your RV due to pests.
- Roof protection covers damages to the roof of your RV.
- Total loss replacement provides coverage in the event that your fifth wheel is totaled and must be replaced. This coverage is usually only available for three years after the manufacturing date.
Save Money on Your Fifth Wheel Insurance
It’s important to shop with at least five different insurance carriers! This helps you compare what they will cover and where you can save. An insurance agent can help you understand exactly what your auto insurance will and will not include for your fifth wheel travel trailer. Chat with a TGS Insurance expert to learn more about your options! We’ll get you the best deal on your RV insurance without sacrificing coverage or peace of mind.